Tuesday 3 June 2008

English dance

I was sleeping yesterday afternoon. Suddenly, something noisy woke me up. Someone play loud musics in front of my hall. I tried to see what was going on from my window but i can't. The window's restrictor only allow the window to be opened for few inches. It's for security reasons. I saw lots of people from Victoria Hall sat by their window to watch that thing as well.

Because of curiosity, I went down. Then, I saw a dance group made performances. I don't know who invited them to make that performance. I don't think Devonshire Cat Bar invited them. It was quite strange because Wellington Street is not a busy road. If they want to attract audiences, they should perform at The Moor.

I talked to one of the performer,

Pena Biru: Where the dance came from?


Dancer: Ermm, I'm not so sure. But I think it came from Oxford or somewhere from the south.


Pena Biru: Owh, I thought it came from Scotland. It really sounds like Scottish musics on tv


Dancer: No, no. This is purely English dance. There are not many dance group right now. Especially in the north region.


I found something interesting with their attire. The dancers wore lots of small bells at their knees. So, everytime they move, you can hear the 'kling kling kling' sound. That sound reminded me of one story. It was about how Malaysian Indian got 'keling' nickname (I don't mean to be racist here ok!).

When I was a kid, I was told by others that Indian was called 'keling' simply because they wore bell at their heel. So, everytime they walk, you can hear the 'kling kling' sounds which was then became 'keling'. I think if they come and perform in Malaysia, 'creative' Malays will call them 'keling' as well. haha

I managed to record the performance and snap some pictures using my mobile phone. So, ladies and gentlemen, enjoy the show!





9 comments:

Hacked by w3d0z said...

menarik2...thanx for sharing...

asal la mase aku dok devon xdelak performance cmni...hehehe...=p

Pena Biru said...

inila yg dikatakan nasib. hehe

nurinkhairi said...

once i was left thinking whether there exists an english dance, since the other peripheral regions (scots,irish, etc) have got their own. now i know that they do exist. interesting capture on vid,thanks.

Pena Biru said...

yeah, it is good to know english dance is actually exist. but they have to accept their dance is not as popular as their neighbour's dance.

Akmal said...

ako rase tu tarian morris...popular kat yorkshire..ako rase...

Pena Biru said...

owh, ye ker

iman said...

wah..menarik...

Pena Biru said...

mau join? =)

iman said...

bley aja...iAllah next year nak mendalami UK plak..huhu