Thursday 28 February 2008

My First Earthquake Experience

27/2/08 is an important day for me. It was the day which i experienced the earthquake for the first time in my life. The magnitude of the earthquake was 5.3 on the Richter scale. I wasn't in Indonesia or Japan at that time, but I was in Sheffield. I never expect that I will experience it when I am in the UK. I thought UK is free from earthquake.

The earthquake happened around 1 am. At that time, i was still awake and sitting in front of my laptop doing some works. Suddenly, things start to shake. Initially, I thought it was because of strong wind (very strong wind is normal here) or people upstairs were running. But when it became stronger and my whole room shaken, it realised that something has happened.

I 'YM'ed my friend at Opal (next to my hall) and she felt it as well. Then, everybody YM status changed and asked about what has happened. I was told that Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham and London experienced the shook too.

Lots of my friends were scared at that time but the strange thing is, i wasn't feel scared at all. I was so curious. What has happened? Is it because of an earthquake or UK has just been attacked by an atomic bomb?

It is interesting to see people's reaction. Just after the tremor, people changed their YM status to "aku mintak maaf kat kawan-kawan semua", "aku halalkan makan minum korang", "kalaulah kita mati tadi" etc.

I am sure lots of people take the tremor as a reminder from Allah. It makes us think about the sins we have done, think about death etc. But the most important thing is how long is the tremor which act as a reminder have a positive impact on us? a day? a week? a month? or forever? One could repent and seek Allah's forgiveness after the tremor but start doing bad things on the next morning like nothing has happened. It is something to think about.

Related links:
1- The Times

6 comments:

[danial][ma] said...

hej! me too felt the tremor...but i used to it before, so i knew it was an earthquake when my room shook that night...glad that was no aftershock after that...

Sabriza Hassan Assa'ari said...

i missed my very first earthquake!!
uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i_i
biler baca entry ni cam teringat blk rase sgt menyesal sbb tido awl n x sedar till morning.tatau pape smpai la jmpa kai chiat the next day.hahahahaha.

Pena Biru said...

nasib baik tak jatuh katil mase earthquake tu. kalu tak, mesti sedar nyer. hehe. u missed heavy snow and earthquake, very bad first year. hahaha. the snow were heavy for the last 3 years, tapi last winter xde snow plak.

Anonymous said...

me neither, i felt it around 12 to 1 am.thought it was from the sham's room. i was lying awake on my bed that moment.suddenly, felt my body and my bed shaking.dont realized it was an earthquake until the next morning when sham told me about that. phew, syukur lah nothing had happened..

Unknown said...

berepe umur kamu yer?

Pena Biru said...

24. nape?